Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Dear Baby,

I hope one day you'll look back on the days we spent together and smile. I hope you know it wasn't always easy raising you alone, but I loved every day of it. You are nearly six months old know and I can't stop thinking about the day you were born. To be honest I didn't know what to expect. I didn't know what it would be like in the future for us. I had nothing to my name... except you. I had no clue how much joy I would feel when we first met. I remember my first look at you. Head full of hair and little toes. I remember you fanning them out right before you let out your first cry. I can remember that sound perfectly to this day. My god son, you are beautiful. Here I am praying you'll forgive me for the days I had to leave you and go to college. I pray you don't remember all the moments I was gone but remember all the times I was. I know you wont have any memories of now... but the guilt still overflows in me.
You should know that as of August 6, 2013 you are approximately 23 pounds. You have a full head of hair and have already had your first haircut. You love to go swimming and splash in the bathtub too. You hate the sound of people sneezing and men with full beards. You love sweet potatoes and bananas. The sound of piano puts you to sleep and the sound of guitar makes you smile. You love to go on walks in the stroller and handle public places very well. You are still nursing like a champ and sleeping in my bed like you always have since you were born. You can now roll over and even at this very second you are trying your hardest to crawl! You love your bouncer chair and have a best friend a month older than you. The sound of other children crying makes you cry too. Your armpits are ticklish but you haven't figured out if being tickled is funny or not. You love to play with my hair and giggle when it brushes across your face. When first picked up you wrap your arms around my neck as if you are hugging me. You wake up happy from a nights sleep but very cranky from a nap. Car rides put you to sleep, so yes, we do lots of road trips. For the fourth of July, you got to see your best friend, and try what it was like to sit in a "Bumbo" chair. No, you didn't like it.
My baby, I love you. You are my world and the reason I breathe. I promise my son, I will give to the world to you. I will teach you the ways of people and the joys of the simpler things. I will teach you to look under rocks and between blades of grass for this Earth's magic. We will spend Summer days together with sand in between our toes and Winters making snowmen. I will teach you how to make sugar cookies and let you ice them. We will create our own stories and make our own puppet shows. I'll watch your soccer games, attend every boy scout meeting, and be on the PTA. I promise I will give you all that I can. You will know love and feel it's warmth everyday. You will have the parent I always wanted, and more. My son, just because I am the only parent you have does not mean you will be loved any less. I will be the father and your mother. Teacher, healer, giver, and greatest love. My son, you will flourish and grow to be the greatest of all men.
My son, you are loved.
The Tickle Monster

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you wish to contact me directly,
Email me at nymdear@gmail.com